lundi 7 janvier 2019

TH sounds


That terrible TH sound

Yes, it's that terrible sound that French people hate to make. But, let's face it, those things turn up more often than you think. (Just count the TH's in that last sentence!)

Here's a video intro to this topic. I've asked my husband to help me with some videos to demonstrate pronunciation since he has such a clear voice and lovely mid-Atlantic accent. (Ireland + Canada = great accent!)


TH sound with air only

Here are some TH sounds that do not use your vocal cords. 
You just use air to make this TH sound.
Remember to stick your tongue out between your teeth.



Examples:

At the beginning of the word - 

Thanks
Thin
Think
Third
Thirteen
Thirty
Three
Thursday
Thumb

In the middle of the word - 

Anything
Athlete 
Bathtub
Birthday
Healthy
Something
Toothpick
Worthwhile

At the end of the word - 

Breath
Earth
Fifth
Math
Mouth 
Ninth
North 
South 
Teeth
Tenth
Tooth
Worth

TH sounds that use your vocal cords.


At the beginning - 

That
The 
Their 
There 
Them 
These 
They 
They’re 
This
Those 

In the middle - 

Another 
Brother 
Clothes [exception to the rule! This is pronounced CLOZE, as in "Close the door."]
Clothing 
Either 
Father 
Feather 
Mother 
Other 
Weather

At the end - 

Bathe 
Breathe
Smooth 


Try to read some sentences:

The meeting will take place this Thursday.

My brother is thirteen today. He wants some cool clothes for his birthday.

My father always picks his teeth with a toothpick after he eats. 

The weather in the south of France is very stormy this week, while the weather in the north is calm.

Those brothers are always misbehaving. They are always into something or another. Last Thursday I told their mother I didn’t want them to play with my son anymore. 

That clothing line is very expensive, but my mother thinks it is not worth it. 

Thanks for inviting me to lunch. The food was healthy and tasty. 

Math is my least favorite subject. I think literature is much more interesting. 

****
You can find all of these videos and more on my YouTube channel. 



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Post

Paralympics 2020